The full form of UAN is a universal account number. UAN no. is a twelve-digit identification number. This is assigned to you as well as your employer so that every individual can contribute to an EPF account with ease. UAN number gets assigned by EPFO (Employees’ Provident Fund Organization). 2 UAN numbers get assigned to you as well as your employer. When this number is generated, it stays constant over the company’s existence. On changing the job even, this number stays constant.
EPFO provides you with a new ID (identification number) on changing your job, and it is linked to your ongoing EPFO account that reflects on the UAN portal. However, you should inform your employer. Either EPFO can do it directly for you, or the employer can do it for you. Here, you will know how to get a UAN number, activate the UAN number, verify the UAN number, check the UAN number details & more.
Why do you require a UAN number?
A UAN number recognizes the EPF or Employee Provident Fund and assists in keeping it thoroughly safe. Note that PF accounts that are started for you by your distinct employees come under 1 single UAN. You can access your EPFO passbook easily by logging into the UAN portal. In a way, this unique identification method helps to keep your deposits in your provident fund account safe and secure. This also simplifies the procedure of checking out your PF account.
How can you check your UAN number?
There are 2 ways to check your UAN number. Firstly, you can get it through your employer. However, many of the employers print UAN numbers on the salary slips. Next, you can know your UAN number by logging into the UAN portal.
Following are the measures to finding your UAN number:
Checking with the employer: Basically, if it is your 1st employer, he will simply notify you regarding your UAN number. However, in case he fails to do the same with you, you can get the same from your salary slip. As there are some deductions in your salary that goes towards your provident fund contributions, the number will be revealed in your salary slip. This is a very common protocol that is followed by many Indian companies. Thus, you can simply check out the UAN number on your salary slips.
- Finding the UAN number on the websites: For this,
- You must first require logging into the UAN portal
- Once done, choose the Know your UAN status option
- Next place in the required details like Aadhaar card number, PAN number etc. Or you also can fill up a form based on your member ID (you can approach an organization for the same)
- In case you have placed your PF number or member ID, fill up the state & EPFO office from the dropdown and then submit it. Also, you can use your Aadhaar number or PAN to search for the UAN number.
- Enter other mandatory details like your mobile number, name, date of birth and the captcha.
- Next, click on the get automation pin option and then enter the pin that you received on your registered number.
- Lastly, click on the option to view your UAN number and get your number through the SMS on your registered number.
Benefits of UAN number
A UAN is issued to you if your wages get deducted from your EPF account. This was not the case earlier. Provident fund accounts opened by distinct employers were allotted with a unique number. UAN was introduced on 1st October 2014. The major aim of this move was to make it simple and convenient for the employees to easily access their provident fund account. Note that UAN is all about simplifying your provident fund transaction. Via this, you can manage all your provident fund accounts in 1 place, regardless of how many companies you switch to during your whole employment journey. It not just provides you with safe and easy access to your provident fund account but even prevents you from remembering and saving various passwords as well as account details.
How is the UAN changing things?
UAN number is generated at the start of your career, and this assists you to organize all your provident fund accounts simultaneously over the years. If you are employed before the year 2014, you have the option to port your account.
Features of UAN number
- UAN helps ease the employee verification process and puts all the data in a single place.
- For activating the UAN number, you must provide the bank account and identity details. Depending on the detail, the verification procedure takes place.
- UAN number ensures to inform new as well as existing employers regarding your provident fund history.
Benefits of UAN number
- You can easily transfer and then withdraw your provident fund money at any time through UAN number.
- Both you as well as your employer can easily manage your record of PF account in a hassle-free way through the online UAN portal.
- Employers can easily validate your provident fund request and submit your provident fund deductions simply via the UAN portal.
- EPFO can track job switches of the employees.
- This brings all KYC & PF details in a single place.
How do the employees get benefitted from the UAN?
UAN portal comes with various advantages for employees also:
- You can review your PF balance at any time from the comfort of your home or any other location.
- UAN portal is secure because it is linked to your Aadhaar and KYC. You can use this UAN portal through your mobile phone to check out your balance by sending an SMS directly.
- UAN denotes your identification. It is thoroughly independent of all the employers.
- Employers can transfer the provident fund on their own to another provident fund account through the UAN number.
- New employees will not require validating their UAN profile if it is already KYC or Aadhaar verified.
- Only you can get a hassle free access to your account, which is the basis of your KYC details.
- You get access to track your provident fund account. Through the UAN portal, you can also check if your employer is depositing the provident fund amount in your bank account each month, and that too depends on the deductions.