The art of essay writing is a difficult one, and one of the most important challenges is finding the motivation to write your paper and get it done. Motivation can come from many sources. Some people are motivated by deadlines. Some people are motivated by rewards. Some people are also motivated by the ideas and inspiration of great thinkers from the past. Many writers, artists, and other creators have shared their thoughts over the years about the writing process and other processes of creative expression, and their words of wisdom can help you to become a stronger writer by motivating you to consider new ways of thinking about your next essay.
Did you know, for example, that most writers struggle with writing at one point or another? Even the best writers face periods of writer’s block and moments of self-doubt. Everyone can use a little motivation to get over the hump and get their work done faster and better. And not everyone can find enough motivation in posters of kitten-hanging from tree branches squeaking “Hang in there!” Instead, many of us feel more motivation when the advice is specific to our task.
In this article, we’ll present twenty-five quotations that you can use to help inspire your essay writing. From quotes about creativity and inspiration to thoughts about success, failure, the importance of revision, you’ll find words of wisdom you can use to get you through your next essay assignment.
- “Inspiration is wonderful when it happens, but the writer must develop an approach for the rest of the time.” — Leonard Bernstein
- “Inspiration is a guest that does not willingly visit the lazy.” — Pyotr Tchaikovsky
- “Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.” — Scott Adams
- “Creativity is knowing how to hide your sources” — Albert Einstein
- “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.” — Ernest Hemingway
- “The scariest moment is always just before you start.” — Stephen King
- “The secret of getting ahead is getting started.” — Mark Twain
- “The first draft of anything is shit.” — Ernest Hemingway
- “Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end: then stop.” — Lewis Carroll
- “You don’t have to be great to get started, but you have to get started to be great.” — Les Brown
- “You never have to change anything you got up in the middle of the night to write.” — Saul Bellow
- “Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.” — William Wordsworth
- “You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.” — Ray Bradbury
- “I know some people might think it odd – unworthy even – for me to have written a cookbook, but I make no apologies. The U.S. poet laureate Billy Collins thought I had demeaned myself by writing poetry for Hallmark Cards, but I am the people’s poet so I write for the people.” — Maya Angelou
- “We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.” — Ernest Hemingway
- “I write for the same reason I breathe – because if I didn’t, I would die.” — Isaac Asimov
- “You fail only if you stop writing.” — Ray Bradbury
- “Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.” — Ray Bradbury
- “I don’t know where my ideas come from, but I know where they come to. They come to my desk, and if I’m not there, they go away again.” — Philip Pullman
- “The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.” — Mark Twain
- “One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple.” — Jack Kerouac
- “Don’t tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” — Anton Chekhov
- “Words can be like X-rays if you use them properly — they’ll go through anything. You read and you’re pierced.” — Aldous Huxley
- “If it sounds like writing, I rewrite it. Or, if proper usage gets in the way, it may have to go. I can’t allow what we learned in English composition to disrupt the sound and rhythm of the narrative.” — Elmore Leonard
- “There is no great writing, only great rewriting.” — Justice Brandeis
The rewriting process might just be the hardest part of writing your essay, but with the help of these quotes, you should be able to give yourself the motivation to push through the hardest revisions to produce the best quality essays.
However, if you find that you need help with the essay writing process, there are people who are standing by to help. An essay writing service like SmartWritingService can provide college students like you with the type of powerful academic writing and custom-written papers that can make all the difference for college students like you. Sometimes, you need a little more than just online quotes and free advice to get yourself back on track fast. That’s where a reliable writing company like SmartWritingService can help you succeed. When you put together the power of professional academic writing with the impressive insights of highly educated academic writers, you can receive the kind of help that can transform your understanding of your essay topic and the entire essay writing process to ensure every paper is exceptional.