Moving is a big deal. It’s not something you do every day, so it’s easy to feel overwhelmed by the process. There are a lot of variables to consider, and it’s important to choose a moving company that’s right for you. Here are some things to keep in mind as you make your decision.
What do Moving Companies do?
A moving company can provide a number of services, from packing your belongings to loading them onto a truck and delivering them to your new home. They can also unload and unpack everything for you. Packing services are usually an additional charge, so be sure to ask about that upfront if it’s something you’re interested in.
Be sure to ask about insurance; most moving companies like movers Madison WI will have some kind of insurance coverage for your belongings, but it may not be comprehensive. If you have items of high value, you may want to purchase additional insurance to cover them in case of damage or loss during the move.
How to Choose The Right Company?
With all the different variables involved in choosing a moving company, doing your research upfront is key.
- Start by asking friends and family for recommendations; someone you know may have used a moving company they were happy with in the past.
- Once you’ve got a few names, check out online reviews to get an idea of what other customers have said about their experiences. Make sure to go beyond just looking at the overall rating; read the individual reviews to get a sense of what people liked and didn’t like about each company.
- Once you’ve narrowed down your choices, reach out to each company and get quotes from them BEFORE scheduling anything. Make sure all the quotes are for the same services so you can easily compare them side-by-side.
- And don’t be afraid to negotiate! The initial quote is almost always negotiable, so if one company’s quote is significantly higher than the others, use that as leverage to get them to lower their price.
- Finally, once you’ve chosen a company, be sure to get EVERYTHING in writing before signing any contracts! This includes the final price, what services are included (packing, unpacking, etc.), estimated delivery time, and any other details that are important to you.
By getting everything in writing beforehand, you can avoid any misunderstandings or surprises down the road.
Tips for Working with Moving Companies
Now that you know how to choose a moving company and what services they can provide, here are some tips for working with them throughout the process:
- Schedule your move for mid-week instead of on the weekend. Weekdays are typically less busy for moving companies, so they’ll be able to give you their full attention and might even offer discounts for weekday moves.
- Communicate clearly with your movers about what needs to be moved and where everything needs to go in your new home. The more information they have upfront, the smoother the process will go on moving day.
- Be available on moving day to answer any questions they may have and direct them as needed; if possible, someone should be available at both your old home AND your new home during the move itself so there’s always someone there who knows what’s going on.
- Do a final walk-through of both homes once everything has been moved; this will help ensure that nothing was missed and that everything arrived in good condition.
- Tip your movers! This isn’t required, but it’s always appreciated; 15-20% of the total bill is standard practice. Moving doesn’t have to be stressful!
By taking some time upfront to research different moving companies and understand what services they offer, you can be sure that everything will go off without a hitch come moving day!